Wednesday, November 10, 2010

McDonald's No Longer the Devil?

I used to be one of the masses that truly believed that McDonald's was one of the main contributors to obesity in America today. It was easy to blame them for my issues. I actually used to joke with the doctors when they would ask me about my medical history. "I have everything that McDonald's can give you," was usually my reply. Although they are still a contributing factor, I do not believe they are no longer the main contributor anymore.
While talking to my daughter the other day about how her school lunch was, she told me, "It's the same as always, Dad. Since I don't like anything they serve I had my usual". Her "usual" being a Buffalo Chicken Wrap, Low fat Doritos, and a Propel Fitness Water. It "sounds" pretty healthy on the surface, but after curiosity got the better of me, I found the "devil was in the details".
I went on the school's website and found there was no menu for what they serve at the school for lunch. I then checked on the county school board website and found what I was looking for. It was there that I found the nutritional information for what they were serving my child. What I found there disgusted me. So I thought I would check what the regular lunch offering really had to "offer" based on the nutritional details on the site. I felt just as disgusted. Thinking to myself, "This doesn't sound much better than McDonald's," I went to the official site and went to their nutritional information to see what my duaghter's normal McDonald's meal (yes, I do still take them to McDonald's but I don't have to like it) had. She likes the Big-n-Tasty combo with fries and a Diet Coke. It was unbelieveable. The school lunch that my daughter eats five days a week was worse for her than eating her favorite McDonald's combo meal every single day.
For those who may be wondering, here is a breakdown of what I found:

Her school lunch, the "Usual": Buffalo Chicken Wrap, Low Fat Doritos and Propel Fitness Water
Total Calories:    712
Total Carbs:         86
Sat. Fat:                4
Total Fat:             34
Sodium:            2059


Normal School Lunch for the day: Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, Garlic Bread, Side salad, Pineapple Chunks, 1%Milk:
Total Calories:    619
Total Carbs:         87
Sodium:            1787
* Note that I was afraid to look at the saturated fat and total fat of these for fear of vomiting.

McDonalds: Big-n-Tasty, Small Fry, Diet Coke
Total Calories:    690
Total Carbs:         66
Sat. Fat:              9.5
Total Fat:             35
Sodium:             895

Does anyone else see a problem with these numbers? Why exactly are we allowing the schools to feed our children the equivalent of almost 2 teaspoons of salt for their lunch? I couldn't believe it. It also, in my opinion, explains why I just found out I have a nephew who isn't out of high school yet, but needs to be on high blood pressure medication. Also, with a nutritionist on staff, one would think that the schools would be trying to make the lunches healthier, but they aren't.
These numbers absolutely disgust me, as they should you. I am almost tempted to send McDonald's with my child everyday for lunch just to see the looks that she may get from those not in the "know". They would probably want to call the Department of Children and Families on me, but the above numbers just don't lie.


Sources:
http://www.marion.k12.fl.us/dept/fsd/docs/NutritionInfo.pdf
http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutritionfacts.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment